Thursday 23 May 2013

Co-sleeping

Before we had C, Chris and I always said that we wouldn't co-sleep because we'd worry about falling into a deep sleep, forgetting that he's there and rolling over on him or him overheating.

Then he was born.



As he was premature, he spent the first 17 days of his life in NICU/SCBU. When we finally got him home, he was content in his Moses basket. Then it started. He just decided that he did not want to be in it at all. During the day, he napped on my chest. 



At night, I knew I didn't want him in bed with us. He was premature and so tiny and I spent many a night awake, watching TV downstairs (I think I watched the whole six seasons of Gossip Girl within a week!) with him sleeping on me. I knew I couldn't keep it up. I was exhausted and something had to give. Chris suggested just leaving him in his Moses basket to cry but I knew that C needed me. He needed cuddles and reassurance that I was there for him and that I wasn't going to leave him.

I brought him in with us. The first few nights, I hardly slept. I was so worried but my "motherly instinct", if that's what you want to call it, kicked in. Even in my sleep, I always knew that he was there with me. We slept properly. He rested his head on my arm and I lay on my side with my knees bent under his feet to prevent me from rolling over. I wake up in the same position that I go to sleep in. 



Eventually he outgrew the Moses basket and we packed it away and built the cot. Maybe he'd prefer it? No.

We still don't have a baby monitor - I know, we're bad! So now at night time, C goes down for his 'big sleep' on the sofa and we carry him up to the cot when Chris and I are going to bed. I know it's not ideal but it works for us!


C sleeps in his cot then and will wake sometime between 3 and 5am to come in with us. Many people have said that we're making a rod for our own back but we don't care. He's not going to be small for long and we love it.

Are you for or against co-sleeping? 
Let me know your thoughts!

Post Comment Love


11 comments on "Co-sleeping"
  1. Hugs to you! A co-sleeper here, and proud to be one. Don't pay any attention to people who talk about the proverbial rod. It's the best feeling in the world to have your little one snuggled against you, hear him breathe or snore quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, Galina. I worry because I can't hear him breathing when he's in his cot but when he's beside me, I like the reassurance of feeling his chest move with every breath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say if it works for you, then who are others to judge! I think its lovely that you guys snooze together, I did it now and again with my daughter when she was wee {she didn't sleep through the night until she was 2} so anything for some sleep and not turn into a MOMBIE! lol But once she got a "Big girls bed" after time she was loving it. No more sleeping in Mummy & daddys bed. Finally I could starfish again! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deborah, as Chris's mum says, if it means you get to sleep - then do it! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment on Make, Do and Push! C is gorgeous :)
    Hannah xx
    ps I missed the last season of Gossip Girl - was it good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah, it was good...not amazing though. The way they ended it could have been better! I wasn't convinced with the revelation of who 'Gossip Girl' was! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never co-slept with Elsa, I think mainly down to the fact that my BIL lost his nephew to SIDS. That was nothing to do with co-sleeping but I was very mindful of following all the advice to the letter. Fortunately E is a brilliant sleeper so I have never had to consider it but I think I would always be too worried to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about that :(. When I was pregnant I was so worried about SIDS and even more so once I started co-sleeping! Glad to hear that you have such a brilliant sleeper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am neither for nor against i think you have to go with whats right for you! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Jaime says, you've got to do what is right for you and ignore everyone else. Personally I wouldn't do it but go with it if its better for you. Thanks for linking to PoCoLo xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. We still co sleep to a degree now and my lite one is 2 next week. It certainly wasn't by choice but he has never slept and after 20 months of not having a whole nights sleep (he would wake 2/3/4 times a night) I gave in. Now he goes down into his own bed without a row then at some point in the night gets in with us. The result has meant I am finally getting a full nights sleep. Also the little one now goes down at 7ish wakes to get in our bed then sleeps till 7.30/8am so for now we are all happy. It's only short term and as he's going to my only one I'm quite enjoying cherishing this time whilst he's little!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete